The Cathedral Dance Research Project
Please see – www.cathedraldanceresearch.co.uk
The Cathedral Dance Research Project is the principal Research Project of Rambert School and is closely related to the MA Degree Programme.
The work revolves around a theory concerned with numinous experience and expression through dance. This theory proposes that dance may potentially be naturally numinous. The dances made through the project attempt to realise this potentiality through two means:
- The act of dance itself.
- The taking on of mythic archetypal roles.
Since the project is trying to move away from performance and towards rituals the works made are called ‘pararituals’.
Moving Visions Dance Theatre, as the research vehicle of the project, has toured to the medieval cathedrals of Canterbury, Gloucester, Winchester, Chester, Ely, Norwich, York, Ripon, Durham, Oxford and Carlisle as well as to the Anglican cathedrals of St Paul’s, Southwark, Coventry, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Vancouver. The company has also performed in churches in the UK, Canada and the United states.
Music for the pararituals is created and performed live by Barry Ganberg and sometimes other musicians. The dancers are students, or former students, of Rambert School. Choreography is by Ross McKim.
Books and articles;
- McKim. R. Numinous Dance and Christian Imagery, Faith and Freedom Journal. Spring and Summer, 2003, vol 56, no 1536, p 17-29.
- McKim. R. Moving Visions Dance Theatre, Faith and Freedom Journal. Autumn and Winter, 2001, vol 54, no 153, p 104-118.
- McKim, R. Moving Visions, Dance Technique, Incarnation and the Shaman, Dancing Times, vol LXXXIII, no. 1047, December 1997, p 207.
- McKim. R Moving Visions and “Haida Crucifixion”, Christian Arts Journal, Spring, 1996, p 8-10.
- McKim. R. Moving Visions and “A Celtic Peace”, Christian Arts Journal, Winter/Spring 1995, p 6-13.
- McKim, R. Cathedral Dancing, Dancing Times, vol LXXXV, no. 1018, July 1995, p 997.
- McKim, R. In the Shadow of the Dancing Shamans. London: The London Press, 2007.
- McKim, R. Shamans in the Cathedral. London: The London Press, 2010
- McKim. R. (editor), The Essential Inheritance of the London Contemporary Dance Theatre. London; Dance Books, 2004.
- McKim. R. (editor), The Essential Inheritance of the London Contemporary Dance Theatre, Choreography and Dance Journal, Harwood Academic Publishers, 6, 4, 2001.
Some press response to the pararituals
“…simple finely controlled and effective choreogoraphy. …McKim unerringly finds a choreographic simplicity, a mature and intelligent understanding… …While there are choreographers of his stature contemporary dance should have an assured future.”
Nicholas Drumgoole, The Sunday Telegraph
“…the excellent Moving Visions …Moving by name and moving by nature, Ross McKim’s spiritually uplifting group of dancers from Rambert School.”
Stephanie Ferguson, Yorkshire Post
“…small oases of hope and beauty in a world filled with gall.”
Karen Mark, Evening News, Edinburgh Festival